This has been the most rewarding summer in my professional career. I was given the opportunity to develop the next phase of my career while bringing some real balance back in my life.
Three key lessons over this summer;
1. The power of the network – as much as you could spend in developing your resume or attending career counseling classes, your network is what will help you to take the next step in your career. Practice your leadership story, know where you want to be in the future and then get out and speak with and meet as many people as you can. I met with over 30 software CEOs and well more than 60 people during my interviewing process – I have learned a ton about new industry verticals and how these exciting companies are trying to change the world for the better.
2. Keep your mind fresh – thanks to Intrexon and TEQ for allowing me to work with them to develop new GTM strategies for a new product line as well as develop a software business unit. This work kept my mind fresh while helping me learn two new areas from the biotechnology market to the education market. While you are on your journey try to think of new ways to leverage your expertise to create more value for others – you will learn a lot in the process.
3. A balanced life – my career coach has always stressed this one to me. Over this summer I realized how important it really was as I shutdown my work at one company, filled that void by consulting at others, got into the best physical shape of my professional career, and spent some much-needed time with my family.
Now that I am about to start that next phase of my career, I would like to personally thank everybody that I interacted with over the last three months.
1. The three companies that made it a very difficult decision to choose the right one – I learned a ton about your companies and I know that you all will be very successful.
2. Intrexon and TEQ for treating me as part of your companies and allowing me to have a positive impact on the future of your businesses.
3. Family and friends for all the many conversations and possibilities of what’s next. I am truly blessed to have you all as part of my life.
Now back to the fun as the journey continues on…